Service interruption on Monday 11 July from 12:30 to 13:00: all the sites of the CCSD (HAL, Epiciences, SciencesConf, AureHAL) will be inaccessible (network hardware connection).
Skip to Main content Skip to Navigation
Journal articles

The population structure of drug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis clinical isolates from Sichuan in China.

Abstract : China ranks second next to India among 22 high-burden countries despite decades' effort on tuberculosis (TB) control. The Sichuan province today contains the second-largest number of TB cases among Chinese provinces, where the prevalence of drug-resistant TB, especially MDR-TB, is much higher than the average level in eastern China. In this study, the population structure and the transmission characteristics of drug-resistant TB in Sichuan province were studied by spoligotyping and 24-locus Mycobacterial interspersed repetitive units-variable number tandem DNA repeats (MIRU-VNTR), applied to a total of 306 clinical isolates. Spoligotyping-based analysis showed that Beijing family represented 69.28% of all isolates and constituted the largest group (66.24%) of MDR-TB in Sichuan. The remaining isolates, accounting for 33.76% of MDR isolates, belonged to the ill-defined T family, Manu2, H3, LAM9, and other minor unassigned clades. The discriminatory power evaluated for spoligotyping was poor (HGI=0.595), but high for 24-locus MIRU-VNTRs (HGI=0.999). The number of the most discriminatory loci (h>0.6) was 12, including locus 424, 802, 960, 1644, 1955, 2163b, 2996, 3007, 3192, 3690, 4348 and 4052. It was concluded that 24-locus MIRU-VNTRs could be a more discriminatory tool for differentiating clinical isolates from Sichuan region. The small clustering size obtained from the current population structure analysis suggested that the high prevalence of drug-resistant TB in this region might be attributed partially to the acquired resistance due to inappropriate drug use rather than active transmission of drug-resistant TB (primary resistance).
Document type :
Journal articles
Complete list of metadata
Contributor : Nalin Rastogi Connect in order to contact the contributor
Submitted on : Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 11:52:33 PM
Last modification on : Monday, August 17, 2020 - 2:20:04 PM




yuding Zhao, Qin Feng, Ke Tang, Congcong Zhang, Honghu Sun, et al.. The population structure of drug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis clinical isolates from Sichuan in China.. Infection, Genetics and Evolution, Elsevier, 2012, 12 (4), pp.718-24. ⟨10.1016/j.meegid.2011.09.022⟩. ⟨pasteur-00691752⟩



Record views